5 Reasons Palestinian Women Gain Weight While Pregnant
1) Everyone wants to spoil you when you’re pregnant.
The minute your family and family-in-law find out you’re pregnant, they start treating you extra nice. They treat you like you can’t be touched. They yell at the children who run around you, and they won’t let you carry or do anything that would make you a little tired. You start feeling like you have a disease!
2) You’re expected to eat for two.
This crazy myth that a pregnant woman has to eat double the portion is still a common belief in Palestine. Pregnant women have people forcing you to eat more when you’re invited to dinner. Your mother-in-law will cook you every meal that you mention you like.
3) You’re in-laws think that any kind of physical activity is harmful to the baby.
This means no gym, no yoga classes, no swimming! Just stay at home, eat and watch TV.
4) House chores become a secondary task.
It seems that it’s only okay for a Palestinian woman to ask for help cleaning her house while she’s pregnant. She takes full advantage of that the whole nine months of pregnancy, and either gets a house cleaner or asks her husband to do most of the chores!
5) You’re not expected to do any type of activity that requires you to travel for over 30 minutes, even if it’s in a car.
This means no shopping or malls, no going to cafes with your friends and God forbid, no traveling!
These reasons and more contribute to weight gain during pregnancy. There’s no need to worry too much, because after you have a couple of children, you are bound to lose a lot of weight running around after them.